- 1st Prize: 1,00,000 (one)
- 2nd Prize: 50,000 (one)
- 3rd Prize: 25,000 (one)
- 100 selected entries: 10,000 (each)
Indian citizen pursuing PhD or PDF in any stream of Science and Technology (S&T), within the tenancy period of her/his research, can submit the entry. The story must relate to research being pursued by him/her.
A panel consisting of eminent science communicators and scientists, constituted by DST, would evaluate the entries.
1. Any Indian citizen pursuing PhD or Post Doctoral Fellowship in any Science and Technology (S&T) stream is eligible to apply under AWSAR.
2. The scholars should be enrolled in PhD program from Government approved Institutions for last two years. Post Doctoral Fellows (PDF) associated with any recognized institute can also apply.
3. Preference will be given to applicants with published paper(s) of their research work. Both full-time and part-time Ph.D. students will be invited for larger participation.
4. The article should indicate complete research story in simple language to be understood by the general public. No complex figures, graphs, equations or formulae should be included except self-explanatory infographics which may be formulated for effective communication.
5. Only original articles sent exclusively for nomination for AWSAR award will be accepted. Articles previously published elsewhere, or simultaneously sent for publication elsewhere, are not acceptable.
A booklet was published on AWSAR 2019 awardees. The booklet contains the brief summary of all awardees and there stories.
A book entitled "AWSAR Awarded Popular Science Articles By scientists for the people" with ISBN: 978-81-7480-337-5 was published. The book is compilation of AWSAR 2018 stories.
AWSAR is a complete hit since its inception in the year 2018. The main focus of this scheme is to hone the popular science communication skills of the researchers through both competitions and workshops. Thank you, DST and team, for putting together such an innovative platform wherein we can simplistically exemplify our research, for people to understand.
Rewiring is the best medicine for quality writing. Augmenting Writing Skills for Articulating Research (AWSAR) has given me the chance to introduce this skill in my writing skills after attending a program on writing skill development. For a new learner they are taking care of their utmost effects and for advanced learners, they are igniting for the next stage of writing.
AWSAR is a fantastic initiative of DST with objective to communicate and popularise the science in mass population. It encourages young researchers to boost their scientific temper and enthusiasm towards popular science writing by conducting regular training workshops and national level competition in pan India.
AWSAR provided a platform to think outside the box and also recognizes the initiative and output of researchers by communicating their research to common man. I feel that AWSAR brings together new ideas of researchers on applied sciences and also creates a culture of science communication among the scholars.
Scientific discoveries are often found to be difficult for common people to understand because of the language, as they are not used to all scientific terms. DST has come up with an innovative idea, that not only makes people understand science but also to encourage students to nourish their writing skills, to write their research findings in common man’s language.
Program Incharge (AWSAR Project), Department of Science & Technology
Principle Investigator (AWSAR Project), Vigyan Prasar
Co-Principle Investigator (AWSAR Project), Vigyan Prasar
Program Coordinator, AWSAR
Web Developer, AWSAR
Graphics Designer & Social Media Manager, AWSAR
Program Executive, AWSAR
Program Executive, AWSAR